Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Aughhh! The Guest List

A guest list! It is seriously a dread for me and my fiance.  We've tried cutting people out, we really have, but then we put them back on.  We have big families.  There is no way around it.  I don't know how to cut our list.  A small wedding sounds so beautiful. I imagine it being so beautiful. I just don't know how to get it to be small.  
To begin with I have a Mexican family.  Enough said, right.  Mexicans have big families. Hanam's family is Vietnamese.  In this way, Mexicans and Vietnamese are very much alike.  We have big families.  To give you an idea. My dad has 9 siblings. Hanam's dad has 12 siblings. And they have kids, and some of those kids have kids.
So what do we do? As of right now, we're expanding our guest list.  We might end up with a guest list of 200 instead of 150.  I know, I know. It seems like a lot to me too, but what can we do.  At least the dance floor will be packed!

6 comments:

  1. Aaawwww, sorry you are dealing with this! Thankfully I DO get to have a small wedding, I'd probably pull my hair out if I had to plan a big one!

    I'm sure you'll do great - after all how could you not when your surrounded by that much love?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I just discovered your blog and wanted to tell you that I love your background! You have excellent taste! (LOL. I have the same exact one.)

    We were having trouble cutting down our guest list as well. We originally only wanted 100, but that list rapidly grew to over 200. We have now narrowed it down to 175 and I hope it doesn't grow anymore since we still have over 8 months left to go.

    In order to minimize our list, we decided that we needed to sort guests out into A and B categories: A being must-invite and B as maybes. As hard as it was, we ended up cutting a lot of B guests because we know that its just not possible to have everyone that we want there. Pick out a potential guest's name and ask yourself, "How much does this person really mean to us and would we spend $100 on him/her? Do we see ourselves still being friends with this person
    5-10 years from now?" If the answer is no, then that person needs to be cut.

    It's a really hard thing to do, especially when a lot of my co-workers already think that they are coming to my wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura is right. We both have big families, so it is a challenge to say the least. Then, when I think about it, part of the what attracted me to her is that she is VERY family oriented and has a great deal of love for them. So it makes me think even more... Why force her to cut the thing that drew me towards her? - Her family/friends. As such, we discussed this and if we have to spend a couple $k more, then in the end it will be worth it.

    I think a couple $k more is a lot less to deal with than a lifetime of regret about who we didn't invite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand how you feel - this was probably one of the hardest parts of planning our wedding for us. We wanted somewhere between 40-50 guests and ended up close to 100. In the end though, you'll be surrounded by loved ones which is wonderful! I wish you the best of luck with your final guest list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't worry Sweetie. We'll give you more money.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't worry Sweetie. We'll give you money.

    ReplyDelete